Love churros? Try this easy take on the popular fried-dough snack. These churro cupcakes, bursting with crunchy cinnamon sugar goodness and topped with a fluffy vegan buttercream, are nothing short of incredible.
- 2/3 cup nondairy milk
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup organic sunflower oil
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup nondairy butter
- 2½ cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Nondairy milk, if needed
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a cupcake pan with 12 paper liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, maple syrup, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour the milk mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture and stir gently until well combined.
- Scoop the batter evenly among the paper liners in the pan. To make the topping, stir together the cane sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over the batter. Bake the cupcakes for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat the butter until fluffy using a stand mixer or hand mixer. Add the icing sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating until incorporated. Add the vanilla and milk, if needed, and continue to beat for 2 to 5 more minutes until light and fluffy.
Nicole Axworthy is a Canadian recipe developer and food photographer. She is the author of DIY Vegan, a cookbook that teaches you how to make your own vegan staples from scratch, and host of the popular food blog, A Dash of Compassion. Nicole holds a certificate in plant-based nutrition from Cornell University and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation.