Hearty, nutritious sweet potato, bean and kale enchiladas topped with a spicy black bean sauce and baked until piping hot. The only thing that will make these better? All your favourite toppings!
- 2 tbsp olive oil (divided)
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (2 cups) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup kale (stems removed, finely chopped)
- ½ cup cooked, chopped sweet potato
- 3 tbsp + 1 cup Que Pasa Mexicana Medium Salsa (divided)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 handful of Que Pasa Thin & Crispy Sea Salt Tortilla Chips, slightly crumbled
- 5-6 medium-sized flour tortillas
- Toppings: Sliced avocado and green onion (optional: red onion, cilantro, and sliced chili peppers)
Filling & Enchilada Sauce:
Tip: Cooking sweet potatoes – Prepare your sweet potato by giving it a good scrub and pricking the skin with a sharp knife or fork.
Microwave method (quick and easy): Microwave on high for 5-8 minutes (flipping halfway through) or until the center feels tender when poked with a knife.
Baking method: Preheat oven to 375F and bake on a cookie sheet for 45 minutes to 1 hour (depending on the size of the potato), or until the center feels tender when poked with a knife. Allow the potato to cool before peeling the skin off (optional) and chopping roughly.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, black beans, and chili powder. Sauté until the onion is translucent and tender. Mash about ¼ of the beans, mix, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet. Add the chopped kale and sauté until tender.
- Add the chopped sweet potato, 3 tbsp salsa, ½ tsp salt, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and 2/3 of the seasoned beans from step 1. Stir well and cook for 1-2 minutes before tasting and adjusting the seasoning as desired. Set filling aside.
- In a blender, combine the remaining 1/3 of the beans from step 1 with 1 cup vegetable broth and 1 cup of salsa. Blend on high until smooth.
Filling & Enchilada Sauce:
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Spread each tortilla with a generous layer of sauce. Divide the filling evenly among tortillas and arrange the filling in a line down the center of each tortilla. Top with crumbled tortilla chips. Roll up the sides and place enchiladas, seam side down, in a 9x9 baking dish.
- Top with remaining sauce and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Just before serving, top with chopped green onion, cilantro and sliced avocado.
Brittany Mueller is a Canadian-based vegan food blogger, recipe developer and photographer. Brittany's blog, I Love Vegan, features a delicious mix of home-style and healthy recipes perfect for vegans and the veg-curious!