Crispy tortilla chips topped with tofu scramble, and ladled with a tomato-chili sauce. Serve this hearty breakfast with refried beans, Mexican rice, and a dollop of guac’ for a full meal!
- 1 tbsp olive oil 1 block extra-firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp finely ground kala namak salt (or sea salt, to taste)
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup vegan cheese shreds
Tomato Chili Sauce:
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil 1 cup chopped bell peppers (red and green)
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tbsp jalapeno, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups drained, canned diced tomatoes
- Pinch sugar
Toppings & Accompaniments:
- Que Pasa Thin & Crispy Sea Salt Tortilla Chips
- Green onion, sliced
- Avocado (chopped) or guacamole
- Mexican rice
- Vegan refried beans
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized skillet. Add crumbled tofu and cook until golden.
Combine the garlic powder, nutritional yeast, turmeric, kala namak salt and vegetable broth. Pour the mixture over the crumbled tofu and stir until the tofu soaks up the sauce. Add vegan cheese and stir until melted. Set aside.
Tip: Kala namak (or “black salt”) has a strong sulfurous aroma and flavor that mimics the flavor of eggs in vegan dishes. Sea salt can be used as a substitute (adjust to taste).
Tomato Chili Sauce:
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped peppers, onion, garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, and salt. Sauté until peppers and onions nearly tender.
- Blend the drained tomatoes until smooth. Add the blended tomatoes and a pinch of sugar to the sautéed onions and peppers. Simmer until vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference.
- For each serving, heat a handful of Que Pasa Thin & Crispy Sea Salt Tortilla Chips in covered skillet, tossing until hot.
- Spread tortilla chips in a single layer, top with a 1/3 cup of tofu scramble, ladle with tomato chili sauce, and top with chopped avocado, green onion, and/or cilantro. Serve alongside Mexican rice, vegan refried beans and guacamole (optional).
Brittany Mueller is a Canadian-based vegan food blogger, recipe developer and photographer. Brittany's blog, I Love Vegan, features a delicious mix of home-style and healthy recipes perfect for vegans and the veg-curious!